Thursday, March 12, 2009

Strawberries Romanoff


My sister Shauri took engagement photos for Abram and I.  She told me that the key would be getting out early enough for good lighting.  I told her that the key would be making sure we got a good breakfast.  We took some before and some after we ate at La Madeleine.  We are decidedly happier in the post-breakfast pictures.  These strawberries were part of the reason.  

I should mention these berries make a great dessert too. 

Ingredients
1/2 c sour cream
3 T brown sugar
1 T Cognac (I omit this ingredient and it still tastes great)
1/2 c heavy cream
3 T granulated sugar
4 c (2 pints) fresh strawberries

Instructions
Mix the sour cream, brown sugar and Cognac together in a medium bowl. 
In a separate bowl, whip the cream with a whisk or an electric mixer until it starts to thicken.  Add the granulated sugar and whip until thick. 
Using a rubber spatula, fold the cream carefully into the sour cream mixture until well blended. 
Just before serving, rinse the berries and trim off the green stems with a sharp paring knife.  
Put the berries into stemmed wineglasses and top with the Romanoff sauce.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow! I didn't know that there was a recipe out there that calls for brown sugar and sour cream and strawberries! One of my favorite treats has always been strawberries dipped in sour cream and rolled in brown sugar. Most people think I'm crazy when they see me eating it, but after tasting it, their minds are changed.