Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Lemon Cake by Guest Chef Amy Barker


I laugh that Kristin asked me to be a "guest chef" on the cooking blog since neither I, nor anyone I know would describe me as a chef.  The only thing I can make is lemon cake.  This cake is good.  It wins friends.  It brings people together.  it makes those who don't like lemon cake like lemon cake.  

The cake recipe is from my friend Nancy and the frosting is from the Magnolia Bakery in New York.  Enjoy!

Cake Ingredients
1 package lemon cake mix
1 c sour cream (8 oz)
3/4 c water
3/4 c oil
4 eggs
1 small package lemon instant pudding

Cake Instructions
Mix dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients.  Mix with electric mixer on medium/high for about two minutes.

Pour into a greased 9x11 pan or two round pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

You can also make cupcakes and bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  The cupcakes will fall after they come out of the oven, but this is normal.  Just fill up the indentation with more frosting.  

Frosting Ingredients
1 c (2 sticks) butter, very soft
8 c powdered sugar
1/2 c fresh lemon juice
1 t grated lemon zest

Frosting Instructions
Place the butter in a large mixing bowl.  Add 4 cups of sugar, then the juice and the zest.  Beat until smooth and creamy.  Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency (I add about 6 cups total).  If desired, add a few drops of yellow food coloring and mix thoroughly.  Use and store at room temperature.  (Don't refrigerate and it will last in a Tuperware for about three days.)




4 comments:

M. Fritze said...

This cake was DIVINE! Made it for my sister-in-law Inger and all her kids! Also, made some into mini cupcakes that the kids loved. The fresh lemony zing was perfect.
Thanks for sharing!

EFN Newsletter said...

Melynne,
I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks for commenting!

Melanie said...

I made this for my birthday today. I've had it bookmarked ever since I saw it on your blog and have been waiting for a great excuse to make it. I LOVED it. Oh so much. I ate two ginormous pieces and told my kids they couldn't have seconds so I could eat the rest tomorrow. I'll be blogging about it, if you don't mind!

Memória said...

YUM! That cake looks awesome! I love lemon!

BTW, a chef is a person who cooks professionally; a cook is a person who cooks at home without having received personal training.