Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cream Puffs


When we were little our family was friends with an older couple, the Georges.  Going over to their house was a special treat because they always had cream puffs.  I remember when I realized that my mom could make them too and thinking, "if you could make cream puffs, why wouldn't you make them every day of your life?"  

Of course, I had a similar thought when my brother got his license and I didn't understand why he wouldn't go to McDonald's every single day if he could get there himself, so don't listen to me.  Listen to the cream puff recipe...

Ingredients
1 c water
1/2 c butter
1 c sifted flour
4 eggs

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Heat water and butter to boiling point in saucepan.  Stir in flour.  Turn heat to low and stir constantly until mixture leaves the pan and forms into a ball (about one minute).  Remove from heat.  Cool.

Beat eggs into the mixture one at a time.  Continue to beat mixture until smooth and velvety. Spoon onto ungreased baking sheet.  Bake until dry (45-50 minutes).  Allow to cool slowly.

Cut off the top third of each cream puff.  Fill with Vanilla Cream Pie Filling.  Replace the top and spread chocolate frosting over the top of the cream puff.

No comments: