Wednesday, February 4, 2009

White Cheddar Mashers


For most of my life I saw mashed potatoes strictly as an accompaniment to gravy.  They were only there so that I didn't have to drink the gravy straight from the gravy train.  Then I tried these and I find myself eating the leftovers straight out of the dish.  No adornments needed.  I also find myself hiding them in the back of the fridge so that no one else will see them and I'll get them all to myself, but that's another issue all together.  

Adapted from the Common Grill Cookbook

Ingredients
2 lbs. Idaho potatoes, peeled
1/4 lb. white cheddar cheese, grated
2 T melted butter
2 t seasoning salt
1/2 t white pepper
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup sour cream

Instructions
Cook potatoes in boiling water until soft, approximately 30 minutes.  Drain and transfer to large mixing bowl and slowly mash potatoes (use a masher, NOT electric beaters), add remaining ingredients and beat until well blended. 

No comments: